Monday, November 30, 2009

Quiet Coffee

Have you ever had quiet coffee? T did this am. He started feeling pretty bad yesterday and by this morning had a fever of 101. He had decided not to share it at work last night, so we slept in. Sort of. I awoke to the sound of a little menehune going through the cabinets- well, the bottom ones. Menehune are short. or so I hear. Back to the story. Lots of clinking of dishes, I was thinking " Oh wow, is my diswasher going to be empty when I get up?" ( I wish there was a house fairy.She's a sister to the the tooth fairy, right?) I hear little feet coming up the stairs and into our room. K goes directly over to Daddy and tells him she made his morning coffee. I see T start to melt. Then away she goes to do something else- to bless someone else, I'm just sure of it. I drag out of bed and get downstairs. As I am looking at the coffee pot to start my own cup, I notice that there are no used grounds in the pot. The pot was still warm, the carafe was still half full. Does the house fairy really exist? Did she throw away the grounds and clean it all up? My heart lept at the thought. Visions of breakfasts prepared when I awoke and the kitchen cleaned, filled my head. I had heard of these thing happening, but could it be? Here? at my house? Talking to K, I asked her about the coffee, how she made it and cleaned it all up. Perplexed, she looked at me and said, " I could not grind the coffee without waking everyone up". Well, yes, that's true. So she made him "coffee" -just without the loud part. ( Duh, I should know that, right?) Quiet coffee. Special, not only for the original thought to bring daddy a cup of coffee, but for the thoughtfulness to make it without waking the sick Hero. My sweet girl. It was brown from the instant Nestle Quik she put in it to make it chocolaty- you know, like what he gets at Starbucks. I am humbled, and feeling the need to take a play from her book. No menehunes. No House Fairy, but never have I been so happy to clean up brown dribbles on the carpet.

1 comment:

XiaoXiao said...

Too too TOOO Sweet!!!